- Arnal et al. (2018) found median values for normal lungs of:
- Compliance C = 0.054 L/cmH20
- Inspiration resistance, Ri = 13 cmH20/(L/s)
- Expiration resistance, Re = 12 cmH20/(L/s)
- For ARDS patients, they found:
- a median compliance of C = 0.039 L/cmH20
- a lower quartile of C = 0.032 L/cmH20
- little change in resistance
Arnal, J-M, Aude Garnero, Mathieu Saoli, and Robert L Chatburn. (2018) Parameters for Simulation
of Adult Subjects During Mechanical Ventilation. Respiratory Care, Vol 63, No. 2.
* End expiration lung pressure is not exactly the same as ventilator PEEP; the two converge for long expiration times, but ventilator PEEP is lower than the lung end expiration pressure due to resistances in the ventilation circuit and nonzero flow rates at the end of expiration.