Professor of Applied Mathematics
Royal Society University Research Fellow
6 West 1.11
- Address: Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY.
- Email: J.H.P.Dawes -at- bath dot ac dot uk
- Tel (direct): +44-1225-386223
- Tel (dept): +44-1225-386989
- Fax: +44-1225-386492
- applied dynamical systems
- bifurcation theory and dynamics with symmetry
- pattern formation
- fluid mechanics
Recent and Forthcoming Activities:
- J.H.P. Dawes, The emergence of a coherent structure for coherent structures: localized states
in nonlinear systems. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 368, 3519-3534 (2010)
(Special issue: 'Visions of the future for the Royal Society's 350th anniversary year')
- C.M. Postlethwaite and J.H.P. Dawes, Resonance bifurcations from robust homoclinic cycles. Nonlinearity 23, 621-642 (2010)
- J.H.P. Dawes and S. Lilley, Localized states in a model of pattern formation in a vertically vibrated layer. SIAM J. App. Dyn. Syst 9, 238-260 (2010)
- T. Putelat, J.H.P. Dawes and J.R. Willis, Regimes of frictional sliding of a spring-block system. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 58, 27-53 (2010)
- J.H.P. Dawes, Localised pattern formation with a large-scale mode: slanted snaking. SIAM J. Appl. Dyn. Syst. 7, 186-206 (2008)
- J.H.P. Dawes, Localised convection cells in the presence of a vertical magnetic field. J. Fluid Mech. 570, 385-406 (2007).
- J.H.P. Dawes and T.L. Tsai, Frequency locking and complex dynamics near a periodically forced robust heteroclinic cycle. Phys. Rev. E 74 055201(R) (2006)
- J.H.P. Dawes and J.R. Gog, The onset of oscillatory dynamics in models of multiple disease strains. J. Math. Biol. 45, 471-510 (2002)
- J.H.P. Dawes, Rapidly rotating thermal convection at low Prandtl number. J. Fluid Mech. 428, 61-80 (2001).