Theresa R Smith
4 West 5.15
Dept of Mathematical Sciences
University of Bath
Bath BA2 7AY
email: t.r.smith 'at' bath.ac.uk
I am a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Statistics in the
Department of Mathematical Sciences at
the University of Bath.
I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh
in 2009 with a BA in History and a BS in
I did my PhD in Statistics at the University of Washington from 2009 to 2014.
- Applications of statistics to health and the social sciences.
- Methods for data with spatial or longitudinal dependence.
- Development and communication of clinical decision support tools.
- Basson, M., Louw, T.M. and Smith, T.R. (2023) Variational Tobit Gaussian process regression. Statistics and Computing.
- Gascoigne, C., and Smith, T.R. (2023) Penalised smoothing splines resolve the curvature identifiability problem in age-period-cohort models with unequal intervals. Statistics in Medicine.
- Faraway, J., Boxall-Clasby, J., Feil, E.J., Gibbon, M.J., Hatfield, O., Kasprzyk-Hordern, B., and Smith, T. (2022) Challenges in realising the potential of wastewater-based epidemiology to quantitatively monitor and predict the spread of disease. Journal of Water & Health.
Recent Funded Projects
- £23K Royal Society short industry fellowship with Mayden (PI, 2021-2022).
- £500K GCRF/Newton Fund (EP/V028499/1) Building an Early Warning System for community-wide infectious disease spread: SARS-CoV-2 tracking in
Africa via environment fingerprinting (Co-I, 2020-2022).
- £131K EPSRC (EP/T003707/1) Statistics and Data Science training to build research capacity to address societal problems in Mongolia (Co-I, 2020-2022).
- My PhD student, Connor Gascoigne, passed his viva with no corrections in
September 2022! Connor is now a post doc in Biostatistics at Imperial College London.
- I joined the executive board of the SAMBa CDT in July 2022. I look forward to
delivering suberb training for our PhD students and making new collaborations
with industrial and non-maths academic partners.
- My first PhD student as lead supervisor, Nadeen Khaleel, passed her viva in January 2022!
- Bath's BA2 alumni magazine wrote a profile of me for their Super Women of STEM feature in September 2021.
3 April 2023