I am a First year PhD student, in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Statistics and Applied Mathematics (SAMBa) at the University of Bath.
My current working title is "Generative Models Applied to Inverse Problems ." My interests include Machine Learning, Generative Models and Inverse Problems applied to Image Analysis.
I am supervised by Dr Matthias Ehrhardt and Dr Neill Campbell.
- November 2019 - I attended the Deep Learning and Inverse Problems Autumn School, at the University of Bremen. I was supported by the Bath Doctoral College Placement Support Fund.
- September 2019 - I completed the MRes portion of the CDT, moving into a full time PhD.
- August 2019 - An ITT was held for the first time in Mexico at CIMAT, Centro de Investigacion en Mathematicas, in Guanajuato. More information can be found on the official ITT website or in this article. I attended, representing SAMBa and the University of Bath, working on a project for Samsung, focusing on eye gaze technology. Our final presentation can be found here.
- July 2019 - I attended the SAMBA conference, presenting a lightning talk "Where's Plasmodium? The
Great Malaria Parasite Hunt"- presentation
- June 2019 - ITT10 was held in Bath in June 2019. During the week, I chaired a group discussion and worked with AVL on Anomoly Detection in Test Fields. Our final presentation can be found here
- April 2019 - I attended ESGI 145 at the University of Cambridge between 8-12th April. I worked on a problem brought by Faraday Predictive on the "Identification of changes in noisy spectra - to detect
incipient problems in rotating equipment."
- January 2019 - ITT19 was held in Bath in January 2019. In the run up to the event I helped liase with Diamond Light Source, one of the industrial partners. During the week, I worked with Diamond Light Source on Additive Manufacturing: Denoising and Particle Tracking. Our final presentation can be found here
Teaching and Outreach
In Semester 1 of 2019/00 Academic year I am tutoring the second year course Ordinary Differential Equations and Control:
Previous experience includes:
- Group 7 - Monday 16:15 - 2E 3.5 - Hand in 5pm Thursdays
- Group 2 - Tuesday 10:15 – 8W 2.28 - Hand in 5pm Thursdays
- Group 12 - Thursday 11:15 – 3WN 3.8 - Hand in 5pm Mondays
- In the Acedemic Year 2018/2019, I tutored second year courses in Ordinary Differential Equations and Control and Vector Calculus and Partial Differential Equations.
As part of the Centre for Doctoral Training programme, I completed an MRes in Statistical and Applied Mathematics, graduating December 2019. As well as a range of course, I undertook small research projects with topics including: Automatic Malaria Detection, High Intensity Focused Ultrasound, Industrial Mathematics and Modelling and Mathematical Analysis of Social Dilemmas.
I completed an MMath degree at Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge graduating with a Distinction in Part III in 2018. During Part III, I took a range of course in Applied and Computational Analysis including: Inverse Problems, Numerical Solutions for ODEs and Distribution Theory, alongside courses in Perturbation Methods and Quantum Information Theory. My Part III essay was supervised by Dr Orsola Rath-Spivack on "Time Reversal Imaging in Inhomogeneous Media" and can be found here.
- Full Name:
- Ms Margaret Duff
- Dept of Mathematical Sciences
- Job Title:
- Integrated PhD Statistical Applied Mathematics
- E-mail Address:
- Postal Address:
Ms Margaret Duff
4 West 1.11
Dept of Mathematical Sciences
University of Bath