Simon N Wood
Mathematical Sciences (4W5.14),
University of Bath,
Bath, BA2 7AY UK; +44 (0)1225 386603;
s.wood _at_ bath.ac.uk
Please contact me if you would be interested in doing a PhD on parallelization of
Generalized additive models, with particular focus on electricity load forcasting with EDF.
Funding is available for UK students and EU students who have been resident in the UK for 3
years (other EU students are eligible for Fees only funding).
Apologies if I have not replied to you on an mgcv related query: I've got
rather behind on mgcv email, especially on the interesting stuff that
I work as a professor in the
statistics group at the university of Bath (part time as I have two small children). I have two
main research interests.
Fuller lists of papers are at
version with added mistakes here.).
In 2006 I published a book called
Generalized Additive Models: An Introduction with R , which explains
the smooth modelling part of my work in some detail.
- Smoothing. In particular methods
for generalized additive modelling and applications of generalized
additive models (GAMs). I am especially interested in smoothness
selection, and low rank spline smoothing, and have written an R package called
which implements GAMs. Some recent example smoothing papers are
- Wood, SN (2008) Fast stable direct fitting and smoothness
for Generalized Additive Models. JRSSB 70(3), 495-518.
- Wood, SN, MV Bravington and SL Hedley (2008) Soap film
smoothing. JRSSB, 70(5), 931-955.
- Wood, SN (2011) Fast stable restricted maximum likelihood and
marginal likelihood estimation of semiparametric generalized linear
models. JRSSB, 73(1), 3-36
- Statistical Ecology. In particular using ecological dynamic
statistical models to help understand ecological mechanisms, and
ecological applications of nonlinear random effects models and smooth
models, as part of NCSE. Some recent
example statistical ecology papers are
- Low, C, SN Wood and RM Nisbet (2009) The effects of group size,
leaf size, and density on the performance of a leaf-mining moth.
of Animal Ecology 78(1): 152-160
- Augustin, NH, M Musio, K von Wilpert, E Kublin, SN Wood, and M
Schumacher (2009) Modelling spatio-temporal forest health monitoring
data. JASA 104, 899-911.
- Wood SN (2010) Statistical inference for noisy nonlinear
ecological dynamic systems. Nature 466(26): 1102-1104. (or short web version with links to supplementary material and methods ).
- Matteo Fasiolo, works on statistics for ecological dynamic systems.
- Dr. Natalya Pya, worked on shape preserving smoothing and is now a PDRA
working on statistical ecology.
- David Miller has recently defended a thesis on
finite area smoothing.
Here is a selection of talks. It's not exhaustive, but hopefully gives
some idea of what I work on.
I am teaching 2 courses this year
Here are a couple of examples of previous courses
- mgcv - generalized
additive (mixed) models and other generalized ridge regression for R.
- C.V. (not up to date).
- Bath maps