We are always interested in applications from good students to study for a PhD, in any of our areas of expertise. A selection of project descriptions is given on the right, but there is flexibility to design the project that suits your interests (provided it suits ours too).
To get funding through a Bath University Studentship you need to apply in the Autumn before you would like to start. There are university studentships available for UK, EU and non-EU students, but competition is tough. We also have EPSRC studentships available which can fully fund strong UK students, and fund the fees of EU students, but can not be used to fund non-EU students. EPSRC money typically becomes available early in early spring of the year that you want to start.
Bath statistics is a founder member of the Acadamy for PhD Training in Statistics, and we fund all our first year PhD students to attend the full 4 week programme of cources run by APTS.
Sample PhD projects
Click on the link for a pdf file describing the project.
- Tensor product smoothing. Simon Wood
- Fisheries modelling. Nicole Augustin
- Examining the effects of spatial resolution in environmental epidemiology. Nicole Augustin and Gavin Shaddick
- Some possible topics in Bayesian statistics. Merrilee Hurn
- Clinical trial design. Chris Jennison