I am a First year PhD student, in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Statistics and Applied Mathematics (SAMBa) at the University of Bath.
My current working title is "Opening the Black-Box: Explanatory Models for Machine Learning." My interests include Machine Learning, Generative Models and Inverse Problems applied to Image Analysis.
I am supervised by Dr Matthias Ehrhardt and Dr Neill Campbell.
I completed my MMath at Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge graduating with a Distinction in Part III in 2018. During Part III, I took a range of course in Applied and Computational Analysis including: Inverse Problems, Numerical Solutions for ODEs and Distribution Theory, alongside courses in Perturbation Methods and Quantum Information Theory. My Part III essay was supervised by Dr Orsola Rath-Spivack on "Time Reversal Imaging in Inhomogeneous Media" and can be found here.
- July 2019 - I attended the SAMBA conference, presenting a lightning talk "Where’s Plasmodium? The
Great Malaria Parasite Hunt"- presentation
- June 2019 - ITT10 was held in Bath in June 2019. During the week, I chaired a group discussion and worked with AVL on Anomoly Detection in Test Fields. Our final presentation can be found here
- April 2019 - I attended ESGI 145 at the University of Cambridge between 8-12th April. I worked on a problem brought by Faraday Predictive on the "Identification of changes in noisy spectra – to detect
incipient problems in rotating equipment."
- January 2019 - ITT19 was held in Bath in January 2019. In the run up to the event I helped liase with Diamond Light Source, one of the industrial partners. During the week, I worked with Diamond Light Source on Additive Manufacturing: Denoising and Particle Trackin. Our final presentation can be found here
Teaching and Outreach
In the Acedemic Year 2018/2019, I tutored second year courses in Ordinary Differential Equations and Control and Vector Calculus and Partial Differential Equations.
- Full Name:
- Ms Margaret Duff
- Dept of Mathematical Sciences
- Job Title:
- Integrated PhD Statistical Applied Mathematics
- E-mail Address:
- Postal Address:
Ms Margaret Duff
4 West 1.11
Dept of Mathematical Sciences
University of Bath