Trowbridge - II
All photographs are copyright to Wiltshire Green Men
|Type:||Foliate head, cat-head.|
|Location:||Church of St James|
|OS GR:||ST 856581|
The second of the two green men in the south porch of Trowbridge's church of St James, is to the left of the wooden structure around the door into the nave.
Again, this is not a full foliate head - the foliage sprouts from the eyebrows only. Like its companion nearby, it probably dates from the church's construction c. 1450. It is clearly a cat-head, and as such it links back in time to the spewing cat-heads we find on Norman fonts and capitals.
Also at Trowbridge
by Black Cat Folklore