All photographs are copyright to Wiltshire Green Men
|Type:||Combination, foliate head and foliage-spewer|
|Location:||Church of the Holy Trinity|
|OS GR:||SU 018230|
We find this fine Victorian green man on the south side of the chancel roof: it is the central boss in the lowest rank. He dates from the rebuilding of the chancel in 1865/6 by the architect T.H. Wyatt, who worked on so many Wiltshire churches.
This green man is a combination of styles: foliate head in the top half of his head, foliage-spewer in the bottom half. His eyes have strongly-marked rims, giving the impression that he is wearing sunglasses!
Also at Bowerchalke
by Black Cat Folklore