I am Academic Digital Technologist at the Centre for Sustainable Chemical Technologies (CSCT) at the University of Bath.
I help research students and staff in the Centre to collaborate, communicate and be more effective using technology. I provide training and one-to-one guidance, develop and support specialist technical solutions to problems.
Here is a selection of my current interests and areas of responsibility:
- Virtual Research Environments (VREs)
- I develop, maintain and support iSusLab, the VRE for the Doctoral Training Centre (DTC) in Sustainable Chemical Technologies. It provides a number of online collaboration tools, such as file sharing, wikis and forums, which can be deployed in whatever combination suits each individual project or group.
- Research data management (RDM)
- Following on from work on the Research360 project, I am developing processes to improve the management of research data within the DTC. This work also feeds into the overall RDM picture for the University.
- Electronic laboratory notebooks
- I am currently investigating complementing our more general VRE with a specialised electronic laboratory notebook (ELN). ELNs are used in a lab context to directly record data and observations in digital form. They enable easier backup and sharing of lab data, and can often automate common tasks and calculations.
- Social media
- Social media tools (such as Twitter) provide a variety of exciting opportunities for research communication. I help research students and staff to explore and capitalise on these opportunities.
- Digital communications
- I am responsible for the CSCT website and other digital channels of communication, such as our blog and Twitter feed.
Past projects & activities
- Developing and piloting human and technical infrastructure for research data management at the University of Bath.
- Facilitating lectures given by remote presenters as part of the DTC’s Sustainable Development and Introduction to Environmental Management courses, using Blackboard Collaborate (previously Elluminate) and Adobe Connect.